Thursday, March 09, 2006

Update from the FUNK (library)

Evangelicals have made news in the science community once again. This time, however, scientists are being encouraged to join in and encourage the, rather than mock and deride. Two stories describing momentum among evangelicals in promoting the use of earth's natural resources in a wise manner have run in the March 9 edition of Nature, one of the science communities most herald magazines. Here are the articles:

A warm welcome, and
Church joins crusade over climate change.

Hopefully, evangelicals can joyfully join together in learning what the Bible's has to say about caring for creation. I'm on the prowl, anyone out there want to join me?

Some random stuff from the week:

**I shared my testimony with 8 visiting Chinese scholars (faculty from Universities in China). They all meet with an Intervaristy staff person for a weekly Bible study. As far as I know they're not Christians, but they clearly have an interest in our religion. They were quite surprised to hear that although I grew up in a Christian family and I did not officially become a Christian until 19. How could I 'pray', go to church, read the Bible and yet not be a Christian? The change: before, I was on the throne; after, I sought the one, reigning King as Lord of my life. What were visible marks/changes? - A thirst for knowing and seeing God through reading the Scripture, prayer, fellowship and service.

**I did a load of dark clothes on Sunday. Upon pulling the clothes out of the dryer I realized that I had left a pen in one of my jean pockets. Needless to say that all of clothes from that load have ink stains on them. Some are worse than others, but what can I do?

**The door buzzer (dinger) on my truck won't turn off as long as I have the key in the ignition. I took the fuse for the dinger out, but this kept the spedometer and windshieldwipers from working. I Googled the problem and hopefully will fix it tonight!

**All campus worship is tommorrow night at 7. The evangelical ministries have this gathering once a semester. It includes worship through music and a guest speaker.

**I was set to have three tests over next Thursday and Friday. Praise be to God who mercifully worked through my chemistry prof to move one test (the hardest) to after spring break! Hopefully I'll do a little better this time around!

****Thanks for the jerky, mom, Sam and Matt! It tastes great!

10 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ink Stains: Spray them really well with hair spray. Let it set a minute or two, then wash in warm water and laundry soap. Always treat your ink stains with hair spray. I have great success with that. If you don't get all of the ink out with the first wash, keep spraying it each time you wash it and it should eventually come out.

Glad you liked the jerky. How was the "Hot & Spicy"? Was it really hot?

Love ya!
Mom

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger H said...

Okay, for the ink you can try one of these. It's hard to know what will work, because ink can be made of lots of different things. Apply the items to a white terrycloth towel, and then apply it to the stain. You probably will want to test this out on an inconspicuous part of the clothing, to see if color will fade.

Try these in order. Start with #1. If that doesn't work, then go try #2, etc.:
1. "Goo Gone"
2. Hair Spray, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously
3.Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
4. Nail Polish Remover or Acetone
5.Spirits of Turpentine

Hopefully one of these will work.

Good luck!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger H said...

Oh! Your mom and I are on the BALL! :)

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger H said...

Hmmm.... well, if the clothes are that bad you might want to consider keeping an eye out for good sales at Target.

The method your mom and I suggested would be ideal for a few spots. I don't think I'd attempt it for badly stained clothes. I don't have that kind of time.

As far as the smell, I guess you've used your Emporia reference already. Maybe - Smells like a Port-A-Potty at a chili cook-off in August??

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger PB&K said...

So there are some pretty bad spots on my clothes. I'll try treating some of the lighter stains soon. The pair of jeans that had the pen in the back pocket - they have a big, very dark black spot.

The spicy jerky is awesome, mom! You did a great job at picking that out. The spice is just right. Thank you soooo very much!

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul I forgot how much I miss and love you!!!! I just found your blog address when I was going through some old stuff. It is so good to hear that you are doing well. Yet kind of creepy that I just read about your life on the net, I promise I have not become an internet stalker. I'm still in new york and the day that you wanted me to hang out in kansas I was not actually there. I am so sorry that I didn't ever call, I have been a terrible friend. Give me a call some time and we can catch up, God is really moving here, and I am growing so much in my walk. Also I wanted to let you know that the sermons that you sent me a long time ago have been so great! I listen to them all the time and I just started reading Piper's book desiring God, my goodness that man is amazing! And also many of my friends here at the ministry have been totally blessed by them too. You are awesome, I am definitely going to have to make your blog a regular on my reading list, you know how much I love the chemistry humor! I do miss you and all our amazing talks. Tell everyone from home I send my love and keep me in your prayers.
Love from New York! Your friend Tamra

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger H said...

Chemistry *humor*? What is this this you speak of? Tamra has me intrigued.

I'm here trying to think of possible examples.....

"My name is Bond - Covalent Bond."

Or maybe:
Q.What emotional disorder does a gas chomatograph suffer from?
A.Separation anxiety!!

Ba-DUM-ching!!

And my personal favorite:
A neutron walks into a bar, sits down and asks for a drink. Finishing, the neutron asks "How much?"
The bartender says, "For you, no charge."


Blessings,
Hillary

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger PB&K said...

How about:

Two sodium atoms were walking down the street.

One says to the other "I think I've lost an electron."

The other says "Are you sure?"

The first replies "Yeah, I'm positive!"

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger PB&K said...

Little Willie was a chemist. Little Willie is no more.
What he thought was H2O, was H2SO4.

What's the most important lesson in chemistry?
Never lick the spoon.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger H said...

BWAHAHAHA!

I love those! I'll have to remember them for future use.

Blessings,
Hillary :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home