Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My masters thesis defense was Tuesday morning, and I'm glad to report that I passed. While, the term "defense" may sound intimidating, I'm in the Sciences, not Jedi school. I had given a departmental seminar in March, so I was required to give an official defense seminar. Instead, I updated a PowerPoint showing my results and used that to guide us through the thesis document. I really enjoyed myself - my committee members are very knowledgeable, but easy going.

With our academics well in order (this is the last week of student teaching), Kindel and I gearing up to move out to California the first week of June. We're sad to leave all of our friends, our church, and campus. California will be a lot fun, though, especially starting out fresh as a married couple.

On the marriage note - wedding plans are coming together, I think. We're blessed to have a lot of help from both sides of the family, which has made the burden on Kindel and I much lighter. It has also helped keep our time free for more meaningful events. Recently those events have included watching Mission Impossible 3, getting run out of Allerton Park by a battalion of mosquito's, swinging in a hammock under a nearly full moon, fishing (Kindel is now up to four or so fish!), church potlucks, and a UIUC symphony concert (tonight). So, thanks to all of you who have taken some of the wedding load away from us!

Until next time...

6 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger H said...

Congratulations on passing both your thesis defense and student teaching! (I remember those days....)

But, really, wouldn't it be cool if it *were* Jedi school?

Mrs. H.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the congrats. Kindel, rather than I, had the academic requirement of student teaching - I'll pass on the congrats to her, though!

Yes, I often wish that they offered graduate level courses in Jedi training. Those closest thing to it is a "knives and daggers" class in the theatre department. It's closed to non-theatre majors, though :(

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger H said...

Oh! I'm sorry. I knew it was Kindel doing the student teaching. I should have been more specific. But, yes, please do pass on my congratulations! :)

Perhaps you and some friends could go buy some light sabers at Toys R Us and stage your own Jedi training camp? :) (Hee! Hee!)

Blessings,
Mrs. H.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger H said...

Me again. I saw this cartoon tonight and thought you'd enjoy it. :)

Mrs. H.

http://xkcd.com/c18.html

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Janine Giordano Drake said...

Once again congratulations on both of your graduations and on your impending marriage! Please do keep in touch. I plan on visiting San Francisco next January for the first time. I hope to see you!! Many blessings on your summer and on the prospects of beginning your life as a sanctified team for the glory of God!

Love in Christ,
Janine

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Tozer's book. It's fantastic. Best wishes on your book reading & further endeavours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home