Thursday, February 01, 2007

Groundhog day eve

A little update...

The Rutgers visit went really. The department of Environmental Science has a lot going for them: a good mix of young and old faculty; a sincere desire among the faculty to work together (throughout the whole campus, too); money; and instrumentation. The research topics are new and cutting edge, and there would be a ton of opportunity to publish. From my perspective, New Brunswick is a pretty poor location for a university. Narrow, congested, dirty streets make for difficult travel, and this is compounded by the natural business of life in the Northeast.

I've also been invited to meet faculty and tour departments at Princeton, Stanford, and Notre Dame. My schedule is starting to fill up travel, and while it's an honor to be invited to visit these programs, there's also a downside. Traveling can take away from the time needed to write up my thesis.

Furthermore, Vienna is just around the corner. Much thanks to all of you who have prayerfully and financially supported me with regard to the trip to Austria.

Finally, Kindel is excelling at the teaching process. She had a reviewer watch her teaching yesterday, and by God's grace she had everyone's keen attention and involvement in the classroom. In fact, the reviewer crossed out the title of the "Improvements" column on her note sheet, and wrote in "suggestions".

If you have a moment, please continue to pray with me for...
Choosing a PhD program
Writing my thesis
The Inter-Varsity trip to Vienna
Kindel and my's relationship during this busy time

7 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger H said...

Paul, thanks so much for your help the other day. I posted pictures on the blog so you can see the results. :)

Stanford sounds like a nice choice. It's *warm* there! That sounds very tempting this time of year. The only trouble is that it's in California.

When do you have to make a decision?

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful,wonderful and awesome. we're all so blessed to be your friends
janine

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

Your welcome, Mrs. H. I'm glad to share my chemistry knowledge.

Thanks J9, it has been great to have you as friend, as well. I hope the DDs go well.

I awoke with a sore throat. This may be the initial stages of the bug that has been passed around CU. Thanks to the Kramers, I have a number of vitamin C packets to help in the fight.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger H said...

Hi Paul!

Try gargling periodically with warm, salty water. It does wonders for a sore throat!

Mrs. H.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Paul - we've never met, but I'm a friend of Kindel's from RVA. She just gave me the link to your blog cause I've been bugging her for a picture of you guys. :) So now I've been reading your updates and getting a bit of a glimpse into who this man is that likes my friend. :)

Not that you are looking for votes.... but - Rutgers would be mine, if only for the reason that that may eventually bring Kindel to the East Coast. :)

Seriously though - I will be praying that the Lord unmistakably guides both of you however He deems best.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell kindel that student teaching is rough, but it gets so much better. just gotta be firm, fair, and consistent. what grade is she teaching?
--klo

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

Princeton is on East coast, too, and isn't far from Rutgers. In fact, when I'm out there at the end of the week, I'll wave to Rutgers as I pass it on the train ride South from Newark.

Kindel is teaching 10th and 12th grade. The sophomore classes are rough due to low motivation and poor attitudes. The senior classes are really fun because they're college prep-level. She gets to have more thoughtful interaction with that bunch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home