Sunday, October 02, 2005

Botswanan Jingle in the CRC

I have had an eventful few days since my last post!

My test Thursday went fairly well. We don't have a textbook for aquatic ecosystem conservation, so we're tested over class notes and what Matt, my prof, says in lecture. Naturally, I phase out to think about philosophy and ninjas, so I usually miss a little material. I enjoy the broad approach to aquatic systems that we're learning, but I also long for the intricacies that my chemistry education was wrought with. Oh for a little "particle in the pond"! As for the outcome of the test, I'll know next week. I'm not going to try to forcast my grade, I could have bombed it. Who knows?

Thursday evening was busy! A short run to Target allowed me to purchase rechargable batteries and soccer socks (to play softball in). We quickly headed to Bible study where Josh and Nina were cooking curry for the whole group. After the scrumptous meal we headed deep into the realm of 1500 b.c. Jewish history. Chapters 5 and 6 of Numbers reveal some interesting things: One, we just don't understand the horror of adultery before God - both the physical and emotional unfaithfulness of committed couples today, as well as unfaithfullness to God. We just don't get it. Second, Nazarites were way cool! They committed their whole lives, atleast a portion, to complete servitude for God. They couldn't even be around dead people! In the protestant church we don't have anything resembling this office. Why? Thursday evening was capped off with a ten o'clock softball game, which we lost. Oh well.

Lab, lab, and more lab - not the black dogs - but laboratory. This describes Friday. However, the roomies and I caught a hardcore Illini club hockey game. It was the first of the season, and boy, did we sit in the wrong seats! You could see just fine from anywhere, but we chose to sit in the middle of the bleachers. This is the section where a univeristy club, the Heckling Illini, sit. Rancid, horrible, disgusting, discordant language! Nonetheless, I was mourning while rejoicing, because the Fighting Illini kicked some tail against the Deleware Blue Hins!

Saturday evening I attended a dinner for grad IV students whose research interests are somewhat close to mine - life science sort of stuff. We were hosted by a christian animal sciences prof. The purpose of the discussions is to create a place where we can discuss and be challenged to integrate faith and learning. Last night was basically a planning meeting. A couple of the brain-stormed ideas were: forcasting, or being proactive, when it comes to where our fields are heading - anticipating and being prepared. We also thought serving those around us was a very practical way of bring our faith into our fields. If you have any suggestions, please post them.

Blake and I also went fishing last night. I caught a pretty darn big fish, but he ended up breaking the line. He was bigger then the last fish I caught, though. Blake was successful in pulling in a two or three pounder.

Today at Hessel Park we took communion. It was different in form than other places, but beautiful. The congregation stood in a circle and passed the bread and wine from one person to the next saying "this the body of Christ broken for you," and "this is the blood of Christ spilt for you." It seems to amplify the body of Christ concept. Pastor Tim preached his fourth sermon on ethics. This one centered upon racism. After the message we sang and jived to a South African spiritual song. I have never seen reformed people get down like this before! It was awesome!

Okay, so some of the more personal, spiritual stuff....

I agree with Casie, why is it so difficult to trust God??? It seems like I've never distrusted God like I do now. I'm not discourged in this, but encouraged to seek and find the One who satisfies every need.

Mark 8 - Jesus says "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? For what can a man give in return for his life? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

In response to distrusting God, Jesus says to distrust yourself. Get rid of the preconcieved ideas of what your life should look at and follow Jesus. We don't know what is best for us. Proclaim God's promises in the name of Jesus. Whatever He brings is 10,000 times more amazing then anything we could imagine! Thanks mom for showing me this and thanks Pastor Joe for preaching this!

Please continue praying for my friendships. I long to have deeper friendships with all of my friends.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) I love you Son...

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

Loads of fun? You don't even know! I have enjoyed the morphology I've been studying, especially fluvial. I hope to actually take a course on the stuff - It's way cool!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

Love you too, Mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home