Thursday, August 10, 2006

Family Visit Post

Pick that jaw up off the floor. It's finally here - the long awaited Family Visit Post!

Two weeks ago three of my closest family members made the 500 miles trip from Topeka to visit me in Champaign. My mom, step-dad and younger brother (Sandy, Sam and Matt, respectively) let early on a Thursday morning (early as in 4:30 am, not 8:30 am) and met up with me in the early afternoon. While Sam napped Mom, Matt and I visit my new apartment, the old house and had some lunch. They took me out to one of my favorite Chambana restaurants, Dos Reales.

Friday morning we took a blazin' hot tour of campus (hot as in temperature, not girls layin' on the quad or really cool architecture). We probably hit half of the campus, being as it's so large and it was really hot. My family got to meet one of my officemates, Chonggang, and learn a little bit about what it means to be an international student. Sam also made a friend on the engineering quad. Finally, someone that can really appreciate who he is!



That evening a few friends met us at Monicals for Pizza. This was perfect - it was a great place and time to introduce my family to friends. The pizza was really good, too.

Matthew got plenty of swimming in Friday and Saturday. The guy just loves the water, what can I say?

The next morning Nina hosted us for breakfast - crepes w/ fresh blueberries. They were so good that my mom implored our host for the recipe and has already made them atleast once. We also spent a short while at the Urbana farmer's market, where we picked up fresh corn, peaches and kettle corn. Saturday evening Pastor Dave and his wife Sherri had the four of us over for dinner.

Saturday evening was quite meaningful for me. My brother and I spent some time talking about God, life as a Christian man, and having faith. Often the events and circumstances of the world can be overwhelming. Yes, God is not safe, but he's good and he's the king. Pray that Matt and I would both trust and follow our King.

This was definently a highlight of the summer. My life is so wrapped up in the events, culture, ethic and mentality of a Christian and academic life. It was nice to show my beloved family what God is now doing through and for me. All to the praise of His glory!

Sam also gave me some pics from my trip to Kansas in early June. Here's one such photo from my memorial day bicycle ride. The morning started out sunny, but ended with a Thai-style downpour.

3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paul What do you mean, "friend" he wouldn't even give me the time of day.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, I'd love to leave a hilarious comment but I'm too busy swimming.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, I'll go swimming with you! I just love the water.

You all are so fun. I've wanted a family for so long. And you all are so congenial that I'm totally enamoured with your family. Please come visit us more often!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home