Thursday, July 20, 2006

Just another normal week . . .

Monday - fellowship of the huge; lab work; evening discussion on the Abrahamic covenant and circumcision, the seal of the covenant; and a nice chat with Sarah; very little sleep.

Excerpt from Monday evening's discussion (actual names are changed):
Rick: "No, I know guys that aren't circumcised. It's actually quite common to not be circumcised."

Lila: "What do you do go, around and ask guys if they're circumcised or not?"

Tim: "Yeah, as a matter of fact, that's usually the first question I ask a guy that I've just met."

Lila: "You know, you could split up your basketball teams in that manner. Circumcised versus not-circumcised."

Me: "Yeah, it would be like shirts versus skins, but skins versus no-skins."

Tuesday - more unsuccessful lab work, but I read some good research literature - evening BBQ w/ friends, including volleyball, swimming, and one of the best brisket (sp?) I've ever had.

Wednesday - fellowship of the huge - read more research literature - had a nice meeting with Pastor Dave. He's so passionate about relationship evangelism and just being a part of other's faith journeys. The work God has done in Dave is contagious - Free departmental lunch! - dismal afternoon in the lab - thunderstorms and bicycle riding (indoors). Jesse gave me a set of rollers (see picture) that laid out in my bedroom. After about fifteen minutes of holding onto a chair while peddling (and falling off three or four times) I was off for an hour long ride. It takes a lot of focus to apply equal pressure on your pedals to keep from wobbling or falling. - and I finished the night reading about the Mosaic Covenant: the Covenant of Law.

Roller track: the rear wheel sits on the back two rollers and the front, on the front roller. One starts peddling and centrifugal force keeps them up. It's a little easier than I expected.

Thanks to all of you who commented about my last post. I agree with you that it is a process and sweetly enjoyed when we recognize that it is God's work in us. Again, thanks for the encouragment and your friendship.

7 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Monday conversation was fun! That's because all of you guys make it fun. Beyond that, it was illuminating to learn more about signs and seals of the covenants.

I have yet to use a roller track. It probably beats riding in this morning's thunderstorm! So have you hit 100 miles yet? Watch out! I'm catching up at 80!

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday -

"Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people." (Richard Foster)

I listened to the sermon on Psalm 12.

As I was reading through the text in my Bible software, one comment on LAN read, "sincerity and truth are extremely valuable because they are so rare." So if sincerity and truth are so rare in modernity, surely we can affect change in our segment of the world if we have sincerity and truth ingrained in our lives. It's too often that we say, "I'll call you later" and neglect to do so. Or ask flippantly, "how are you?" when we just meant, "hello." The pastor exhorted, "be thoughtful and substantial." Verily, may we say what we mean and mean what we say as we encourage one another with thoughtfulness, sincerity, and substantial truth.

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Incline not my heart to any evil thing..." (Psalm 141:3-4, KJV)


PS: Josh's apt does have a/c.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

Very true, NYC. I'm sure the readers will also be encouraged by your comments.

I think it's especially difficult to be thoughtful and substantial in our exhortation as graduate students. By no means is this an excuse - God's given us our mind and heart for such a time as this. Jesus truely shows sincerity as very attractive, but as I look at myself, I know that can hurt people by being superficial and not following through with my yes-es. May God be the one to strengthen us in being committed members of the Body of Christ - honestly loving one another.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

I know of a few men that read this blog.

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Per pb&j's 1st above post- I would think that as graduate students, being thoughtful and substantial would come easier because we spend much of our academic careers trying to be thoughtful and substantial about our research. After all, those ingenious ideas are what get us research grants, publications, and accolades among our colleagues. Hence, as grad students, we are gifted with a certain sort of ingenuity for substantial thought. May we use it well to build one another up.

Dear pb, you have a wonderful way with elocution and with people. So I pray that with your giftedness you will articulate well & love truly.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

fyi - elocution: the skill of clear and expressive speech, especially of distinct pronunciation and articulation.

I hope and pray that God will allow me (us) to take the theology we've studied and communicate it to those who find it difficult to study such things. We're not meant to keep these truths to ourselves.

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bad. I meant elocution as in "a skilled manner of speaking" (Oxford) or "the art of speaking" (Amer.Heritage).

Maybe I should qualify my word choice: You're a smooove talker with outrageous pronounciation that is quite distinct. Is that a dialect or a disorder?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home