Saturday, October 22, 2005

Extra crunchy

Being an easy week I've had much more time to sleep and read the scriptures. This has been healthy and helpful, especially with three busy weeks ahead. I've spent most of my devotional time in Mark and Numbers, as my faithful readers know.

Bolt mentions (The Cross From a Distance, 2005), and I've found this to be true, that the faith and understanding that Jesus patiently and consistently calls the disciples to embody is found in the weak, poor and sick characters of the Gospel of Mark.

After the transfiguration Jesus makes clear to James, John and Peter that his suffering death, and the subsequent triumphal resurrection are the last steps before the Kingdom of God is ushered in upon earth (9:1-23). The disciples associate the raising of the dead (known as the final resurrection in 1st century Jewish thought) with the establishment of the Kingdom. And so James and John, still thinking about the events to come, implore Jesus saying "Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask" (10:35). Humbly Jesus replies "What do you want me to do for you?" The disciple's have no idea what it means to have a Kingdom-mindset, this is evidenced by their self-centered reply. Jesus asks a blind man on the streets of Jericho the exact question: The blind man heard the group of disciples walking by and he called out "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Again, Jesus replies "What do you want me to do for you?" The beggar replies "that I might receive my sight!" This is mind and heart God desires us to have - one that cries out "I can't see without your help! Help me see!"

Yesterday evening Josh and I went to the homecoming variety show in Lincoln Hall. They had some talented artists there. The opening band was probably my favorit. They are a Beatles cover band named the Lonely Hearts, and they rocked for the few songs that they played. Te crowd became entransed when a young man schooled a piano while playing and singing some Elton John songs. This guy is going somewhere. Josh and I then head over Dwayne and Austin's place to watch a movie. It was my first time there, so I naturally started to check the place out. I walked over by the sliding glass door to look outside because I thought I heard something outside. I didn't realize that the sound was Dwayne opening the door. Staring out what I thought was a closed glass door, Dwayne, dressed in the Scream-killer outfit, piled out of shadows engulfing their porch and tackled me in the middle of the doorway! What a great time. Casie and Kristen, Dwayne is your rival when it comes to hospitality. The dude has a gift for making people feel welcome, even if he scares the daylights out of them.

Today I'm studying a stats to prepare for my test on Thursday. My roommates and I are planning on fishing tonight. Last time we went out I landed a good size flathead, hopefully we'll catch something as big or bigger tonight. Also, we have another potluck coming up! This one is a "monosyllable potluck", also known as a "pot". So if you have any suggestions on dishes, send them my way.

Have a great weekend/week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home