Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Rat ta tat tat

Blake had asked me Sunday evening if I had noticed any cultural differences between Illinois and Kansas. I've heard that the suburbians are quite a bit different; seeing how I have yet to meet any, I couldn't think of any differences. Early this morning, however, I told Blake of an obvious difference...

We had gotten to bed about 12:30 am. At around 2:15 I was awakened with what I initially thought were two raps upon my window. Startled, I looked out, but saw only the apartment complex behind the house. I heard the sound again, but this time the discordant raps seemed a little further away... and maybe like gun shots. I ran into Blakes room and woke him up. The sound was more intense toward the front of the house, but this time the sound didn't bear the resemblance of a firearm, probably more like firecrackers or a loud paintball gun. Settled with the fact that our house wasn't in the middle of a Bruce Willis type shoot out (like those in Last Man Standing), we had ourselves an early morning glass of water. At this point I turned to Blake and said that this was an obvious cultural difference: I'm not used to hearing "shots" at 2 o'clock in the morning. We then headed to back to sleep.

Also, Quad day is today. A thousands booths are set up all over the main quad (a long retangle area in the middle of campus) promoting various clubs and organizations. I stopped by the Graduate Intervarsity booth and spoke with Alan the club Pres. It seems as though many events are planned for the upcoming two weeks. I'll keep you posted regarding my attendance.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger PB&K said...

I'm pretty sure they weren't gunshots, which is a good thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home